Board of Directors
Hello Everyone, Let me introduce myself, I am Matthew Akers and I am honored to be a part of this great foundation. I was involved in last year's golf tournament and was incredibly moved by the work you have done, and continue to do.
- I have two wonderful children (5 and 3) that have only started turning my hair grey, so I am preparing for the inevitable.
- My wife Erika and I have been married for 2 years.
- I currently work at the National Golf Foundation heading up their Digital Marketing agency working alongside many of the golf industry's largest companies. My work history has provided me with experience in all types of digital and traditional media.
- Born and raised in Ashland, Ohio and I would be shocked if any of you knew where that was. But if you do, you might recognize Ashland as the "Headquarters of Nice People".
- Stubborn in my support for all sports teams in Ohio including the Cleveland Browns, Indians, Cavs, Ohio State Buckeyes, and the Bengals if none of the other ones I mentioned are playing.
- Currently live in Eastpointe off of Donald Ross Road
- With my free time I enjoy: chasing my children around, playing golf, swimming, going to the beach, cooking, working on my side project "Scramble Hunter", a website that works to centralize golf scrambles in the country, in that order:)
- Highlights: I once qualified for a Pool Tournament in Las Vegas, sang for Margaret Thatcher as part of a youth choir, was chosen to play Winthrop in a local theater version of the "Music Man" when I was in grade school, have been the best man in 6 weddings, and still have my first car; a white 1991 Pontiac Firebird with T-tops that my mother and father bought my sister and I a long time ago.
I am hoping that during my time with the Heroes Foundation, I can use my experience in marketing and connections in golf to help raise the player experience and raise more funds for student scholarships..